[RC5] composit factoring

richard L. King Jr. richardking57 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 30 12:01:34 EDT 2001

i wrote a brute force factoring program for the 640 bit factoring contest.
it seems to do about 1200 iterations per second.
benchmarking indicates it will take up to billions of years on my 500mhz
box.
is there a simple algorithm to speed it up?
my math is poor so it needs not to be in fancy math notation.
i read a paper on factoring but the math lost me.
i was thinking along the lines of factoring small sections and then
assembling the pieces.
but i don't know how to guess which factors to use in assembly.
btw, i used the MAPM library for large integer math.