[RC5] special processor for cracking RC5?, was: What if RC5-64 is done

Dennis Lubert plasmahh at gmx.net
Sun Jun 3 11:53:20 EDT 2001

At 02:12 03.06.01 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello Mathieu, cow-friends,
>

> > On the main page of distributed.net we can read
> > "distributed.net's computing power has grown to
> > become equivalent to that of more than 160000 PII 266Mhz computers
> > working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year!"
> > I doubt an organization could really build something A LOT stronger
> > than this, able to crack a 64 bits encryption in a year or so ??
>
>Well, this is just some sort of figment of the mind, but would it be
>possible to build a processor which is optimized for cracking a special
>encryption like RC5-64?

Perhaps u should take a look at the HARDWARE List. They sometimes disucuss
creation of a FCPGA array, created only for cracking rc5, but afaik they
have some problems in unrolling the algorithm, so they will not get 1
key/clock (whats their original aim was). But it seems to be possible to
create a processor like this which needs only a few clocks/key so if
someone would build it, we could have something like this deep crack thing
for DES, but we need much more processors for a high rate I suppose.