[RC5] AXP client slow on RC5

Dan Sugalski dan at sidhe.org
Sun Jun 3 13:22:17 EDT 2001

At 09:12 PM 6/1/2001 -0400, Mike Faunce wrote:
>Umm.  That doesn't make much sense to me.  If the cores are coded in
>assembly, then the OS "wrapper" is the only thing that should change from OS
>to OS and performance across different OS's running on the same processor
>should be very close.
>
>What am I missing that makes what I said false?

With the AXP, at least, the big issue is less the actual machine code than
the assembly syntax and calling conventions. Unfortunately the Alpha
assembler for WinNT has a different syntax than the asm function in Dec C
for OpenVMS Alpha, which is different from the syntax the gnu assembler
wants on Tru64. And all three take their parameters in different sets of
registers, in different ways.

Not a huge issue, really, but if you're unfamiliar with assembly language
programming on an Alpha (and pretty much everyone is--this aint the
6502...) it's enough to stop a core from being used. It's why the OpenVMS
Alpha client uses the C core rather than the assembly core, for example.
(It was more work than I had time for when I build the VMS client many
moons ago)