[RC5] AXP client slow on RC5

Fruitloops fruitloops70_prn at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 02:56:05 EDT 2001

> With the AXP, at least, the big issue is less the actual machine
> code than the assembly syntax and calling conventions. Unfortunately the
> Alpha assembler for WinNT has a different syntax than the asm function in
> Dec C for OpenVMS Alpha, which is different from the syntax the gnu
> assembler wants on Tru64. And all three take their parameters in different
> sets of registers, in different ways.

I am not an Alpha expert, I admit I may be wrong.

But aren't GNU C and GNU assembler available for each of these three AXP
operating systems?  You don't have to use the "officially recommended" tools
for each OS, for Pete's sake! ;-)

Don't NT and OpenVMS have good POSIX compliant layers/APIs?  Wouldn't this
POSIX compliance allow GNU C and GNU assembler to be ported over from Tru64
or Linux or *BSD for AXP without too much fuss?

Gimminy, it's just a compiler and its associated assembler and linker!
We're not talking super-duper technology here.  It's not like we would have
to reinvent the wheel.  Assemblers, linkers, and compilers have been done
many times over in the past 40+ years.

And it's not like the Alpha is such an unknown beast.  I first heard of
Alpha in 1994, and I bet it wasn't brand spankin' new then.  It's been
around for more than eight years, with documentation available online for
free.

A not-particularly-exceptional computer science undergrad can write these
tools if instructed properly, provided with the appropriate tools (C
compiler, LEX and YACC,) and provided with specs for the CPU and OS
executable file formats.

See, I know what I'm talking about. ;-)  I've even done it a few times, and
I don't consider myself particularly exceptional.  The first time was about
10 years ago, for my second year computer science class.  And it wasn't even
for a real processor.  The professor had invented a stack-oriented CPU with
a simple instruction set, and implemented it in Common LISP (a virtual
machine within a virtual machine!)

Compared to a real embedded target, it was very difficult to get your
girlfriend excited over, though.  Especially since it didn't have any cute
blinking lights or LCDs.  "Come over here, baby.  Watch me push and pop my
stack."  Anyhow, sorry for the tangent. ;-)

If I am wrong and the GNU toolset isn't (yet) available on AXP for NT and
OpenVMS, then obviously it was best you used what you had available.  It's
better to have a core for one's choice of CPU and OS than to not have a core
at all.

Fruitloops

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net