[RC5] Cpu time used by OGR

bwilson at fers.com bwilson at fers.com
Mon Jun 4 10:21:46 EDT 2001

The claim has been made that the OGR work will have to be discarded, but that
claim is unfounded.

>From the day we started OGR, the plan was to process every work unit twice.
Only if the two results match will the work be marked as completed.  The two
results must come from different participants.

It turns out there is a bug in some versions 465 and 466 of the client which
can cause a partially completed OGR work unit to be marked "complete" when a
manual fetch/flush is initiated.  This bug is fixed in version 469 of the
client, released recently.

We have no reason to believe this bug will have any noticeable impact on the
accuracy or time of the OGR projects.  Since most users follow our
recommendation of automatic fetching and flushing, only a tiny amount of the
work submitted will be invalid.  Any work units which were completed normally
will be confirmed by a second submission.  Work units returned complete when
they were not will be discarded when a second submission has a different total.

/me=bwilson at distributed.net
__
Bruce Wilson, Manager, FERS Business Services
bwilson at fers.com, 312.245.1750, http://www.fers.com/
PGP KeyID: 5430B995, http://www.lasthome.net/~bwilson/

File not found. Make it up as I go along?
         [OK]         [Cancel]

	rc5 at lists.distributed.net

	06/04/2001 04:14

		        To:        rc5 at lists.distributed.net
		        cc:        (bcc: Bruce Wilson/Chicago/MP/RSMi)
		        Subject:        RE: [RC5] Cpu time used by OGR

I dont understand why anyone would be running ogr at all. Wasnt there some
rather blunt discussion about how all the results being done on ogr right
now are totally useless and need to be recalculated anyway? Would it not be
wise to shut down ogr until all the bugs have been fixed?