[RC5] Uptime and/or CPU time records?

Ferry van Steen td at salesint.com
Wed Jun 6 12:21:30 EDT 2001

Hehe, you're obviously windows minded....
Linux does NOT have to reboot for every fart you make.
Only in 2 cases reboots are required, the rest is trivial....
1 you want to update/replace your kernel
2 you have to change hardware/add hardware which isn't hot swap (which most
hardware isn't)
The only other reason could be that you want to test your newly modified
start up scripts, however you can do this also by 1 checking your
programming or 2 just switching runlevels, in both cases you won't reboot
and thus preserve your uptime
For the rest you can change/patch/update/install whatever you want without
reboot

Ain't it great :-)

regards