[RC5] P4 Speed Question

Gregory S. Hopkins greg01 at ctconnect.com
Sun Jun 10 21:41:43 EDT 2001

After unpacking my new Dell Dimension 8100 with a P4 at 1.7ghz , I was expecting a SUPER increase (at least double) over my P3 500 overclocked to 620.

However, I am quite disapointed. It seems that Dnet is not optimized for P4 or something, because the 620mhz P3 can do approx 1,677,500 keys a second, but the P4 at 1700mhz can only do approx 2,313,000 per second. This is a HUGE disapointment. Is there anything I can do to improve this, or am I stuck waiting for a new version?

Also, the P4 is supposed to have the full P3 instruction set, right (plus some). Why isnt the keys/sec nearly triple (like the mhz is)? Even if the P4 was acting like a P3, its still doing it nearly 3 times faster.

Thanks

Greg