[RC5] P4 Speed Question

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Mon Jun 11 00:08:39 EDT 2001

First, understand that, by its nature, the P4 does less per clock than the P3.  The P4 was optimized to satisfy the marketing department's requirement for a high MHz/GHz number, not for the best overall performance, and a 1.5GHz P4 performs worse than a 1GHz PIII on many applications, particularly x87 floating point.  There are any number of very good articles on the subject of the P4's underwhelming performance, I recommend starting at the following sites:

http://www.tomshardware.com
http://www.anandtech.com

Colin