[RC5] P4 Speed Question

Ferry van Steen td at salesint.com
Mon Jun 11 11:40:34 EDT 2001

I don't know whether this list keeps archives, but if they do you might
wanna look at them. We already had a long long but nice discussion about
this subject :-)
In short it comes down to the pipeline and instruction optimalisation which
is totally different for this CPU.

Since your interested, don't expect much of a performance increase in your
windows/apps for a while either. Windows (95/98/ME/NT4/2K) are NOT optimized
for P4's. Windows XP will be. Almost all apps at this moment aren't
optimized either. This CPU won't be great until software is adjusted. This
comes down to the pipeline if i understood the discussion right.

We had a P3 800 running, which by feeling runs just as fast as P4 1400
running WinME. Some apps might be faster but in overall performance I did
NOT notice a big difference between the 2 systems.

If you want speed for now I'd suggest a Athlon 1333 @ 266 with DDR memory.
By feeling a 1333 @ 266 with DDR memory runs about 1.5 times as fast as a
1333 @ 266 with SDRAM (I didn't measure it... but it's a lot faster with DDR
:-))

Also benchmarks I've seen an Athlon 1400 @ 266 outperformed a P4 1700 with
70% on some apps.

The P4 will reach it's true performance when everything is optimized. This
will take about a year and you'll have to be running WinXP (or a linux/unix
which is optimized. believe the new linux kernels have optimization). I've
contacted microsoft. There will not be any patches whatsoever to optimize
the older windows versions (ie not XP)

regards