[RC5] P4 Speed Question

dan the person hedonist at win.co.nz
Tue Jun 12 01:31:49 EDT 2001

"Gregory S. Hopkins" wrote:

> After unpacking my new Dell Dimension 8100 with a P4 at 1.7ghz , I was expecting a SUPER increase (at least double) over my P3 500 overclocked to 620. However, I am quite disapointed. It seems that Dnet is not optimized for P4 or something,

or something....  It the P4 is optimised to run at a high clock rate, it is not optimised to run existing x86 code fast.  If you want decent performance you have to rewrite all performance critcal code in SSE2.  If you do so then the p4 can display very nice performance.

Only thing super about a p4 is it's super high price.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net