[RC5] P4 Speed Question

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Jun 12 04:15:19 EDT 2001

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 12:31:49AM +1200, dan the person wrote:
> Only thing super about a p4 is it's super high price.

 In their defence, they do have more memory bandwidth than any other PC
hardware, with dual rambus channels feeding a 400MHz bus.  This is good for
stuff like numerical simulations where you have huge arrays.  I don't know
how many people doing numerical simulations use a compiler that emits SSE2
instructions, but I bet the P4 is one of the main reasons for Intel making
their C compiler available on Linux.

 The P4 is a pretty nice CPU, but for most people it isn't really worth the
amount of money it costs.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net