[RC5] RE: [plans] distributed.net .plan update

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Jun 12 04:37:39 EDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 10:18:52AM -0500, bwilson at fers.com wrote:
> We have considered raw partitions, as well as newer versions of Linux or
> extensions which would permit files larger than 2GB. ?Another layer of that
> problem is that Linux limits us to 16 filesystems. ?On balance, FreeBSD (and
> the added security and stability) seem to be our best choice. ?We haven't made

 Oh good, I hope this means we'll see a lot less "the statsrun died for
unknown reason".  It's almost laughable how unreliable the statsruns have
been lately!  (I have no idea why, or if it's anybody's fault.)  Actually, I
did just think of something.  If you were using an old linux kernel
(2.2.x, before 2.2.18), the VM subsystem had serious issues.  It's still not
great, but several smart people are working on it.  Last year, I met Rik van
Riel and some other kernel hackers at the Ottawa Linux Symposium.  The
consensus was that Linux's VM was really bad, and that they were about to
make it better, but it would still be pretty bad...

 As for security, the most secure system will be the one you know best.  All
linux and *BSD systems can be secured by people who know what they're doing,
and it's not a lot harder with one or the other, just different.

> the decision final, but if our testing confirms our expectations, we'll
> probably continue with FreeBSD.

 vive la difference, eh :)  I haven't used FBSD, but I've heard good things
about it.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net