[RC5] P4 Speed Question

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Fri Jun 15 10:44:31 EDT 2001

>> Somewhat ironically, it's the Linux folks - who can recompile most of
their
>> software to their liking - that might find they actually like performance
>> (maybe not price) of the P4 right now.

> I pity the foo' who can't recompile her OS (apologies to Mr. T :).  I
don't
>find it ironic at all, since one of the reasons for using a Free OS is that
>you can do anything you want with it, and aren't dependent on any company
>get around to doing stuff for you.  Could you explain what you meant there?

Well... haven been an admin/DBA/programmer for an exclusively NT environment
(well, one HP/UX box) for the last 5 years, I guess well I'm out of the **IX
scene. I suppose I was thinking - fondly, mind you - of what we outsiders
think of as the "slashdot culture," that core of underdog-loving Linux
diehards
who loathe Microsoft first and Intel second. To me, it's somewhat ironic
that
they who promote love for AMD and hate of Intel's monopolistic tendencies
can benefit most from Intel's new beast.

>> Assuming, of course, that these Lunix
>> folks have access to good P4-optimized compilers and script
interpreters...

> Oh, you mean this?
>http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/linuxbeta.htm

It's a start, I guess. Not being a Linux guy, I didn't know about this
offering
from Intel. But from my Solaris days in college, I remember how compiler
choice
sparked minor holy wars amongst our C programmers, a sun vs. gcc battle
waged in
the Makefiles. Nobody wanted to handle all those compiler flag differences;
everyone
swore that their compiler choice produced the tightest, fastest code. I
would think
Intel has to make their compiler fully gcc compatible to make any P4
Linux/FreeBSD
inroads. But maybe things have changed in this regard since I last used two
forward
slashes to comment my code...

	-ryan-