[RC5] P4 Speed Question

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Jun 20 19:45:33 EDT 2001

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 01:01:10PM -0400, Enojon wrote:

> [...]

 Some people think that all software should be free, so the give away
other people's software for free, even when the people who own the
copyright don't want them to do that.  They suck.  I'm not talking
about them.  I'm talking about people who think that software should
be Free, and so they write Free software.  When I say capital-F Free,
I'm talking about free-speech free, as in freedom to modify and
redistribute, not just free-beer free as in zero-cost.  (The French
had this separation figured out already: libre and gratis are two
different words.)

 warez dudez who pirate binary only software aren't even helping make
more Free software.  A cracked game is still not Free software,
because people who get it still can't see how it works and make
changes, let alone redistribute it.  Like I said, warez people don't
help promote Free software _at_ _all_.  Worse, they are easily
confused with people who use and write real Free software, and make
the whole Free software movement look bad.

 (obviously, there are people who like Free software and free warez,
but not everyone who supports one supports the other).

--
#define X(x,y) x##y

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net