[RC5] P4 Speed Question

Andreas D. Landmark andreas.landmark at noxtension.com
Sat Jun 23 03:22:34 EDT 2001

At 20.06.2001 22:45, you wrote:
>  Some people think that all software should be free, so the give away
>other people's software for free, even when the people who own the
>copyright don't want them to do that.  They suck.  I'm not talking
>about them.  I'm talking about people who think that software should
>be Free, and so they write Free software.  When I say capital-F Free,
>I'm talking about free-speech free, as in freedom to modify and
>redistribute, not just free-beer free as in zero-cost.  (The French
>had this separation figured out already: libre and gratis are two
>different words.)
>
>  warez dudez who pirate binary only software aren't even helping make
>more Free software.  A cracked game is still not Free software,
>because people who get it still can't see how it works and make
>changes, let alone redistribute it.  Like I said, warez people don't
>help promote Free software _at_ _all_.  Worse, they are easily
>confused with people who use and write real Free software, and make
>the whole Free software movement look bad.
>
>  (obviously, there are people who like Free software and free warez,
>but not everyone who supports one supports the other).

Yes there are free software and free software, that's why we call some of
it GPLed software, some BSD-licensed, some mozilla-licensed, some
<your-favourite-license-here> software.

What microsoft has been slagging off lately has been the GPL licensed
software as it's license makes it very hard to use GPLed software in commercial
software... That could also be a reason why BSD licensed stuff are so popular
amongst companies like Apple (MacOSX) and Microsoft (the w2k tcp/ip stack
or something is alleged to be ripped out of FreeBSD).

Anybody confusing pirated software with free software aren't smart enough to
be allowed near a computer. That's like confusing a free car with a stolen car,
most people are able to differ between a stolen car and a free car.
They are both free of charge, but while one takes you from A to B, the other
one takes you from A to prison. I leave it up to you to figure out which is
which ;-).

--
Andreas D Landmark / noXtension
Real Time, adj.: