[RC5] RSA decryption

Andreas D. Landmark andreas.landmark at noxtension.com
Sat Mar 3 20:26:25 EST 2001

At 03.03.2001 19:53, you wrote:
>i imagine several lay people world wide
>are randomly creating formulas and trying
>them against public keys and/or the rc5 contest.
>it is concievable tha someone could succeed eventually.

Well the distributed.net effort is _very_ likely to succeed because of
the exhaustive testing that is going on as I'm writing this. This means
in simple terms that the clients affiliated with distributed.net and the
rc5 project is trying out every possible combination to try to decrypt
the rc5 encrypted data we are trying to decrypt.

But as you mention several people are probably trying out random
keys/solutions, but looking at the possible keys to try
(you could say combinations=keys), and the fact that only yesterday
distributed.net tried over 160 million of them without success (afaik ;-).
The possibility of finding _the_ key without divine intervention is in
one word... microscopical...

My guess is that distributed.net would be the one to find the key,
when is hard to say, but looking at the competition we're lightyears
ahead...

--
Andreas D. Landmark / noXtension
PGP ID:0xB2BEAE80 / 4096bits