[RC5] RSA decryption

Jeff Lacy jeffdl at mn.mediaone.net
Sat Mar 3 16:19:47 EST 2001

I disagree with you, Andreas.  Distributed.net is testing every single key,
so it must find the correct key *eventually* (provided there is a correct
key......)  If people put more effort behind thinking of which key probably
is the right one, they (maybe) could eliminate a lot of keys to test.

Now I get to make a really *really* bad analogy:     :-D

There are millions of monkeys with typewriters.  Eventually, they will
produce Moby Dick, but it will probably take a very long time for them to do
that. (Monkeys = dnet participants)  Herman Melville also tries to write
Moby Dick.  (Herman = Competition with lots of thought)  Who has a higher
probability of getting the correct version first?  :-)

I know, this shouldn't really matter because the correct key should have
been selected *perfectly* at random, but what is perfect?

Jeff