[RC5] RSA decryption

Kevin Elliott k-elliott at wiu.edu
Sat Mar 3 15:00:58 EST 2001

At 17:38 -0500  on  3/3/01, Rodney R. Korte wrote:
>On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 16:19:47 -0600, Jeff Lacy wrote:
>
>>There are millions of monkeys with typewriters.  Eventually, they will
>>produce Moby Dick, but it will probably take a very long time for them to do
>>that. (Monkeys = dnet participants)  Herman Melville also tries to write
>>Moby Dick.  (Herman = Competition with lots of thought)  Who has a higher
>>probability of getting the correct version first?  :-)
>
>Actually, this is nothing like the million monkey analogy (which is
>commonly used in probability courses, thermal physics, etc).  The
>monkeys press keys on the typewriter randomly.  What dnet is doing
>is not random.

Yes.  We're a million humans trying to figure out what one monkey
typed randomly,   Would someone care to explain how any "thought"
about the problem will speed things up at all?
--

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both
instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net