[RC5] RSA decryption

Andreas D. Landmark andreas.landmark at noxtension.com
Sun Mar 4 20:13:08 EST 2001

At 04.03.2001 19:51, you wrote:
> > "The general solution", doesn't that imply that it works for all cases
> > unless stated otherwise,
> > that's what I think he ment anyway...
>
>Yes, a general solution works for all cases, but the original posted said
>that:

my fault.. *smack-on-the-wrist-for-not-reading-properly*

>This is *not* a test for a general solution (as my even number test
>indicates).

A general solution includes a proof of the case, a test of a few numbers
perhaps both reals and unreals is not a proof for a general solution, because
you haven't and can't try all possible values for your variables...

> > However AFAIK the general solution for RC5 isn't simple enough to allow us
> > to find the
> > correct key within a few steps, or in fact we haven't got a general
> > solution, we're trying
> > to find the correct key by exhaustively testing all possible keys...
>
>Exhaustively testing all possible keys *is* a general solution - it will
>always work.

It's not the general solution though, because you cannot prove there
is no other keys...

--
Andreas D. Landmark / noXtension
PGP ID:0xB2BEAE80 / 4096bits