[RC5] ogr percentage done - WHY impossible?

Christian Wirth wirthi at gmx.at
Tue Mar 13 22:48:27 EST 2001

Hi,

Ok, I believe we have all accepted that d.net cannot calculate the number of
nodes that have to be tested to solve OGR-25 (etc.). But, I suppose it is
possible to calculate the number of nodes that do exist - when I am rigth
this is a quite simple calculation (for OGR-3 for example, it should be the
nodes 1-2-3, 1-3-2, 2-1-3, 2-3-1, 3-1-2, 3-2-1, = 6 nodes). When I am right
with this interpretation of the OGR-description, the total number of nodes
seems to be N! for OGR-N ... (1,5e25 for OGR 25)

Ok, if I am wrong up to here: just ignore the rest!

Now, I know we don't have to test all the nodes (because some can easily be
determined to be "not better" than the currently best one); so, if we know
the total number of nodes and the ones done, this would be a first step
towards a percentage done ... If someone would figure out a approximation of
how many nodes we can leave untestested (because of optimizations), it
should be possible to calculate an approximation the percentage of "ogr
done". This would be a more or less guessed approximation, but it would be a
number and I guess this would make many user very happy ;)

Sorry for confusing you with my bad english and my minimal knowlede about
ogr but I had to tell somebody.

Greets,
Christian Wirth

Christian Wirth