[RC5] ogr percentage done - WHY impossible?

Zorba the Hutt zorbathut at uswest.net
Wed Mar 14 15:50:40 EST 2001

My way of looking at it: there's clearly a repository of stubs in the
stubserver somewhere. There's a point at which we *will* say "okay, we've
checked all the possibilities". So we've got a finite number of stubs to
hand out. Presumably we can count these - I mean, they've got to be stored
in the server. So, while I realize it might not be *perfect* - that the
progress bar might speed up near the end or something - at least it's
*something*, right?

As a second pointer, as I remember there *was* someone from the dnet team
who would occasionally post how far we were with OGR. Which implies that he
somehow knew, which implies that it's *possible* to know.

Being kept in the dark sucks. I don't know whether it's better to do a
project of questionable scientific worth and know how far we are with it, or
do a project of actual scientific worth with no idea whether we're making
progress or not.

-Zorba