[RC5] Client buffer updates on DSL

Rodney R. Korte rkorte at psu.edu
Fri Mar 30 12:09:58 EST 2001

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:35:03 -0800, Frank Schickel wrote:

>   When I set the client options to watch all connections and make sure
>there's always work available.  When I went in this morning, I found
>that it had completed the in buffer and then worked on random blocks
>for the rest of the night.

I also have problems with this, as I reported at least a couple of
weeks ago.  A couple of people suggested some settings, but they have
not worked for me.  My .ini file has the following (what is shown is
not the whole thing, only the relevant sections):

[buffers]
checkpoint-filename=ckpoint
frequent-threshold-checks=2
threshold-check-interval=0:01

[networking]
autofindkeyserver=yes
dialup-watcher=passive
interfaces-to-watch=*

[rc5]
fetch-workunit-threshold=2000

I have tried "interfaces-to-watch" equals lan*:eth*:ppp* (as someone
suggested, but that did not seem to work either.  However, the client
*never* fetches automatically, even when it is doing random blocks.
I *always* have to update manually, and thus the high block count.

Can someone comment on something that might actually work.  I want the
client to fill the buffers when it can whenever the buffers reach some
low-tide mark.  (Whenever any interface is up and it shouldn't cause
an auto-dial.)

Thanks,

Rodney

--