[RC5] ia64 core?

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Mar 30 15:54:47 EST 2001

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 09:02:17PM +0200, Rolf Stals wrote:
> There are indeed not much testing programs for an IA-64 processors simply
> because the fact no one has had the chanche to write because intel wouldnt
> let them. What i can understand because their was a lot of research money
> in this processor and they dont want other people to run of with their idea's

 They've had IA64 simulator programs available for a long time. They're not
dumb, and they know that if there's no software that works on IA64 then
people won't buy it.  They haven't let many people get their hands on IA64
hardware, but the software is available (somewhere...) for no cost.  (The
source isn't even available, though.)

 I went to a presentation about IA64 at the Ottawa Linux Symposium last
year, and they showed how to set up the simulator on IA32 Linux so you could
run IA64 binaries.  (They also had an engineering sample IA64 workstation
running linux, which was pretty cool.)  RedHat/Cygnus has got GCC to
compile for IA64.

 I think they also have IA64 simulators for Windows.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net