[RC5] Performance on P-IV

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Thu May 10 10:53:36 EDT 2001

A P4 is slower, clock-for-clock, that both the Pentium III and Athalon.

However, the P4 was designed with deeper instruction pipelines, so that it
could be run at a higher clock speed than Athalon or P3 on the same type of
silicon.

This is a design/marketing decision made by Intel, as a higher clock speed
makes for better marketing to lay people who don't know jack about
computers.

That said, a P4 can be very fast when code is optimized for it. And RC5
cracking is a very specialized use of a processor - it is in no way
indicative of the processor's general performance potential. All of the
cores in the current "official" dnet client are specifically hand-assembled
for the P3 or Athalon architectures. Similarly hand-optimized P4 cores might
make it a faster dnet machine than anything else out there.

    -ryan-