[RC5] P-IV cores, OGR status

bwilson at fers.com bwilson at fers.com
Fri May 11 13:52:20 EDT 2001

Core development is one of the most difficult components of the
distributed.net client.  Very few people in the world have the ability to
develop code tight enough to squeeze everything there is out of a new CPU
instruction set.  Our coders tell us they're working on a Pentium IV core,
but that is currently taking a back burner to some important development
on OGR.  As with all of us, distributed.net work is taking a back seat to
our day jobs and personal lives (those of us who have lives, that is).

If you're one of those people who knows how to develop assembler code, and
you have the time to invest, please contact us.  We are looking for some
fresh blood in all roles of distributed.net.

I apologize for not answering sooner the questions about the state of the
OGR project.  I have a draft I've been massaging and routing to other dcti
stuff.  The short version is that while the OGR project clients have some
problems, we don't believe any valid work will need to be discarded.  We
will, of course, give full stats credit to all work received, whether it
is later determined to be invalid or not.

One thing you can do to minimize the impact of the bug is to stop the
client before issuing a manual update.  Automatic updates, or manual
updates while the client is stopped are not affected.  See bugzilla
<http://www.distributed.net/bugs/> for details of this and other bugs.
__
Bruce Wilson, Manager, FERS Business Services
bwilson at fers.com, 312.245.1750, http://www.fers.com/
PGP KeyID: 5430B995, http://www.lasthome.net/~bwilson/

"Shh! Be vewy vewy quiet! I'm hunting wuntime ewwors!"

rc5 at lists.distributed.net
05/10/2001 22:39