[RC5] Performance on P-IV

Enojon enojon at ATTGLOBAL.NET
Sat May 12 16:30:06 EDT 2001

LOL!!  That kills me... everyone says people buy Macs because they look
"good"...

But, technically, you need to check out the specs on the G4  AND the Athlon.
I believe Tom's Hardware had a writeup on Athlon vs. G4 a year ago.  Both
chips have some similarities that helps boost Athlon out of Pentium
doldrums.
In terms of "pipelines", the G4 only has 3 parallel integer units, 3 fpu
parallel
units, and 3 parallel vector units.   dnet achieves greater performances by
abusing the "vector processing" unit's 32 128-bit wide registers, and using
the spares of the 32 64-bit wide integer registers.   No word on whether
they have succeeded in forging some parallel usage on the fpu...

I guess it's time to rackmount the old iMac mainboard...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ferry van Steen" <td at salesint.com>
To: <rc5 at lists.distributed.net>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 4:00 AM
Subject: Re: [RC5] Performance on P-IV

That should have something to then with how the CPU's internals work. Then
again I don't like Macs, not because of the OS or CPU's, I just think their
cases a plain stinking ugly and will only be fashion for like 4 months,
after that you'll have something in your living room that's totally out of
place. I don't think Mac did smart with their fancy plastic stuff.......
Maybe I should check out the G4's specs though, maybe there are several
pipelines in there working independant that it cracks keys that fast...

regards