[RC5] Performance on P-IV

Enojon enojon at ATTGLOBAL.NET
Sat May 12 16:32:03 EDT 2001

Yes, but even the 64-bit cpu has poor performance -- as of 2 years ago.  HP/Intel had to go
back into the engineering shed.   Plus, I read that the merced(es) was not backward compatible.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ferry van Steen
  To: rc5 at lists.distributed.net
  Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 4:08 AM
  Subject: Re: [RC5] Performance on P-IV

  Well I just started this discussion to figure out the specifics. From the results I've seen so far the only advice I can give is that it ain't smart to buy a P-IV at this moment and that you can better wait until a year from now or something when programs will be optimized. By then it will probably be worth it for sure. Only thing is that intel's 64bit CPU should be out then.... Think that's why they are pushing the P-IV into the market like they are..