[RC5] Performance on P-IV

Basil A. Daoust basildaoust at home.com
Sat May 12 17:08:36 EDT 2001

I just went to the apple site, and you can't buy a new 450 but you can buy a dual
533 for 2500 without a monitor so OK.  But the big advantage to Athlon is I don't
have to buy from a source I can buy the parts.

Well lets see, now if I was building this to do just RC5 I wouldn't need a large
drive
or much memory but to be fair I've put in a lot of extras.

	125 for a mainboard
        131 for 256 meg of p133 sdram. ( or 32 meg for $39 )
        250 for a 200 mhsb 1000 Thunderbird.
         86 for a case ( though I could get one for $31)
         26 for the darn fan.
         25 for a keyboard
         20 for a mouse
         65 for a cdrom
         25 for a floppy
         25 for a network card
        265 for a 40GB IBM 75GXP drive ( Way over kill ).
       1043 canadian or about what 700 american...
So we could get 3 of these for less.
If we only bought 1 CDrom, for all three, got smaller drives
and scrimped in other locations like memory and quality cases
we could probably get 4 without to much trouble.

So now 4 * 3.5 = 14M keys vs 8.8M.
But even at 3 we are at 10.5 to 8.8.

Basil

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net