[RC5] Performance on P-IV

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Sat May 12 21:24:06 EDT 2001

On Sat, 12 May 2001, Enojon wrote:

> $/ wu processed ?
> $2899 / 3.5Mkeys
> $2500 / 8.8Mkeys [approx street price for dual G4's @ 450Mhz]

        If I pay $2899 for a K7 box, it better have a *pair* of 1.33GHz
T-birds in it. I've actually been looking at upgrading my K7-650 to dual
Thunderbirds (just waiting for the Socket A Tyan Thunder to hit the
shelves). It's going to cost a good bit less than $2899. Granted, that's a
mobo/RAM/CPUs upgrade, not a whole new box, but I could replace all the
other components of the machine for less than the difference between the
$2899 price tag you're quoting and what I'm actually looking at paying
(which is in the neighborhood of $1600, and dropping every day). Hell, I
only paid $1000 for my entire current machine, including 17" monitor, a year
ago, *before* hardware prices went through the floor.

	Now, my K7-650 runs about 2.3Mk/s, so, assuming linear scaling with
MHz on a given core, which seems to be the rule for RC5, I estimate that a
dual 1.33 should run in the neighborhood of 9-10Mk/s.

	A dual G4-733 should be able to beat a dual Thunderbird-1333 in raw
performance, but nothing Apple has ever made has a prayer against the T-bird
in price/performance.

	And if RC5 weren't so wonderfully Altivec-able, it wouldn't even be
a contest. The real work my computer does when it isn't killing time with
RC5 doesn't greatly benefit from Altivec.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person -- they will
find an easier way to do it.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net