[RC5] Performance on P-IV

glassman1 at neonshadow.net glassman1 at neonshadow.net
Tue May 15 01:07:13 EDT 2001

Just to contribute, here's the hardware i'd opt to use, answered point for
point with Basil's post... :)

On Sat, 12 May 2001, Basil A. Daoust wrote:

> I just went to the apple site, and you can't buy a new 450 but you can buy a dual
> 533 for 2500 without a monitor so OK.  But the big advantage to Athlon is I don't
> have to buy from a source I can buy the parts.
>
> Well lets see, now if I was building this to do just RC5 I wouldn't need a large
> drive
> or much memory but to be fair I've put in a lot of extras.
>
> 	125 for a mainboard

$65 american for a tbird/duron motherboard...

>         131 for 256 meg of p133 sdram. ( or 32 meg for $39 )

$40 american for 256 meg of pc133 sdram...

>         250 for a 200 mhsb 1000 Thunderbird.

$124 american for a 1Ghz TBird (200 mfsb)

>          86 for a case ( though I could get one for $31)

$13 american for a cheap ATX case (probably double with shipping)

>          26 for the darn fan.

$21 american for a decent GlobalWin...

>          25 for a keyboard
>          20 for a mouse

Who needs those once set up right? :)

>          65 for a cdrom

$20 american for a cheap 40x...

>          25 for a floppy

$8 american for a teac 1.44mb...

>          25 for a network card

$9 american for a cheap one...

>         265 for a 40GB IBM 75GXP drive ( Way over kill ).

$68 american for a cheap 20gb...

>        1043 canadian or about what 700 american...

$368 each plus shipping.... figure $500 each to include shipping and you
can get 5 1Ghz tbirds for the cost of a dual G4 533....

> So we could get 3 of these for less.
> If we only bought 1 CDrom, for all three, got smaller drives
> and scrimped in other locations like memory and quality cases
> we could probably get 4 without to much trouble.

I kinda presumed this with the keyboard/mouse... (I wouldn't use the mouse
anyway, i'd load 'em up with linux and no Xwin).. the cdrom count could be
trimmed down to just one, not much else squeeze in my list... :) With dealer
volume discounts I could probably arrange a 6th system inside the budget.

> So now 4 * 3.5 = 14M keys vs 8.8M.
> But even at 3 we are at 10.5 to 8.8.

5 * 3.5 = 17.5Mkeys (maybe 6 * 3.5 = 21Mkeys)

So yes, Basil is correct, the TBird still holds the price/performance edge
over the G4. :o) If the G4 prices would come down a notch, say $1200, or
went faster (Dual 1Ghz G4 anyone?) for the same price then it would be a threat
to the athlons price/performance value.

-Gerald