[RC5] Performance on P-IV

Enojon enojon at ATTGLOBAL.NET
Wed May 16 00:38:31 EDT 2001

"Andreas D. Landmark" wrote:

> At 15.05.2001 09:07, you wrote:
>
> >Just to contribute, here's the hardware i'd opt to use, answered point for
> >point with Basil's post... :)
> >
> >5 * 3.5 = 17.5Mkeys (maybe 6 * 3.5 = 21Mkeys)
> <snipp>
>
> you're missing one point though...
>
> "5 or maybe 6" athlons would use somewhere along the lines of
> 3-6 times as much power as a G4....

And, ATX and AT power supplies tend to burnout with such loads.

Also, in rebuttal to Basil's shopping list, replacement costs--
usually, PC "kits" must be rebuilt component by component within
a year--either because of obsolesence or failure.

And, I'm sure a resourceful Mac Geek would be able to scrounge
the components to build a dual G4 under $1500 --amazing what
happens when the processor card slides in and out.. next to
an ATI or more enviable video card barely concealing PCI ATA
RAID controller.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net