[RC5] Performance on P-IV

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Wed May 16 11:54:52 EDT 2001

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Enojon wrote:

> "Andreas D. Landmark" wrote:
>
> > "5 or maybe 6" athlons would use somewhere along the lines of
> > 3-6 times as much power as a G4....
> >

> And, ATX and AT power supplies tend to burnout with such loads.

	You don't run them all off *ONE* power supply. Geez.

> Also, in rebuttal to Basil's shopping list, replacement costs--
> usually, PC "kits" must be rebuilt component by component within
> a year--either because of obsolesence or failure.

	Umm... say what? I'm typing this email from the console of a Zenith
286 that was built 'round about 1985. It's all original parts except the
keyboard (original got lost somewhere) and the second hard drive, which I
added a few months ago so I had room to install Minix. The machine's seen 15
years or more of hard use, and is still up and running fine. The sheer
amount of antique hardware I've got around here suggests that this isn't
atypical for either PC *or* Mac hardware. They get thrown out as useless
*long* before they fail.

	As for obsolescence... yeah, old computers get obsolete. Newer
computers get released. That doesn't make the old ones stop working, or
require their replacement. I'm failing to see where you had a point...
unless maybe you're suggesting that G4s are less vulnerable to obsolescence
because Motorola is incapable of releasing faster CPUs in a timely fashion.

	And, of course, if your components do fail, or you want to upgrade
them to faster components, it's far, far cheaper and easier to do with a PC.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  This fortune intentionally not included.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net