[RC5] nmap output

Jeff Lawson jlawson at bovine.net
Wed May 16 21:27:06 EDT 2001

The author of the nmap utility, Fyodor <fyodor at dhp.com>, has negative
personal opinions about distributed.net and chooses to spread his feelings
about us to others by providing that default port description.  The
descriptions are contained within the "nmap-services" file (located in
/usr/local/share/nmap/nmap-services) and can be edited freely to suit your
own tastes.  Note that if you look in that file and read the comment
description for port 3064, you will see another opinion expressed:

distrib-net-proxy 3064/tcp   # Stupid closed source distributed.net project proxy port

The FreeBSD port of nmap used to contain a patch that would compiled and
install nmap with a modified nmap-services file that instead contained the
following correction for port 2064, however I believe that patch had to
be recently removed from the FreeBSD ports collection at the objection of
the nmap author:

distributed-net   2064/tcp   # distributed.net server port

The author has been contacted about that text by us on at least a couple
of occasions without any significant luck in changing the text to a more
agreeable description.

--
Jeff Lawson   http://www.bovine.net/  http://www.distributed.net/~bovine/
Jeffrey_Lawson at alumni.hmc.edu  jlawson at bovine.net  bovine at distributed.net