[RC5] proxy question

Michael B. Baker Michael.B.Baker at home.com
Sun May 20 12:32:55 EDT 2001

Sorry about the confusion. I've modified your drawing...

In this configuration the laptop is running the proxyper and
servicing the dnet clients on the 192.168.0.0 network.
Also, the proxyper is communicating with the dnet keyserver
via the company network. The VPN NIC connected to the DSL
router filters all but two IP addresses and can't see
the dnet keyserver.

              +---- VPN -----+   +---> router ---> dsl ---> internet
              |              |   |
    +---------+---+        +-+---+-----+
    | 192.168.0.0 |        |  0.0.0.0  |
    +---+---------+        +-----------+

        |     +---> more dnet clients
        |     |     on 192.168.0.0
    +---+-----+---+
    | switch/hub  |
    +---+---------+

        |    +--- laptop ---+   +---> company network ---> internet
        |    |              |   |
    +---+----+----+      +--+---+----+
    | 192.168.0.0 |      |  0.0.0.0  |
    +-------------+      +-----------+

In this configuration the laptop is communicating with the VPN
using pcanywhere from outside the network. Whilst in this
off-premise configuration the clients running on the 192.168.0.0
machines can't see the proxyper running on the laptop.

              +---- VPN -----+   +---> router ---> dsl ---> laptop
              |              |   |
    +---------+---+        +-+---+-----+
    | 192.168.0.0 |        |  0.0.0.0  |

        |     +---> more dnet clients
        |     |     on 192.168.0.0
    | switch/hub  |

My question ---> is there anything I can do which will allow the
dnet clients to see the proxyper in this configuration?

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net