[RC5] Proxy ports

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Thu May 24 05:44:22 EDT 2001

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 05:08:49PM -0500, Stephen Berg wrote:
> I have a proxy set up on a RH Linux system.  I'd like for it to answer
> requests but right now it seems that when I try to do a fetch/flush from
> my work computer it cannot connect.  The work computer is behind a
> firewall/proxy.  I think the problem is the firewall and/or proxy at work
> are not allowing the connection to port 2064 on my personal proxy machine.
> I can't set the proxy machine to listen on port 80 because that will
> interfere with a web server I'm running.
>
> Is there an easy way to fix this? I've browsed the FAQ-o-matic and
> couldn't find anything that seemed appropriate to this problem.

 Q: I'm using a blocked port and stuff doesn't work.
 A: don't filter the port, or use one that isn't filterd.

  There's nothing more that can be said or done by any d.net programs or
people that I can think of.  You could work around this by using one of
d.net's servers that work on port 80.  dnetc supports http proxies.

> One thought I had was to set up a virtual webserver on a high port number
> like 8080 or something similar and set the proxy to handle things via
> http.  Would that solve this problem?

 It, if that port wasn't filtered, of course.  Ask your firewall
admin what ports aren't filtered, and use one of those.  (Or scan to find it
out for yourself.)  I would try the https port, since that'll be unblocked
or you can do an HTTP CONNECT to get a transparent 2-way connection through
the proxy.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net