[RC5] CPU Utilization in Task Manager (NT)

jbugden at alis.com jbugden at alis.com
Thu May 24 10:59:07 EDT 2001

The problem is not to obscure the existence of dnetc but to remove the
perceived CPU Utilization. Total CPU usage is a don't care for me.

When dnetc takes 100% CPU it makes it difficult to use Task Manager to track
the "real" CPU usage during debugging. In this context, taskmgr.exe is often
run more or less continuously so pause-watch-plist is the same as not
running it at all.

Also, several applications seem to monitor the CPU usage and delay their
startup if the system is busy. At least one application takes an order of
magnitude longer to start (6s vs. 60s) when dnetc is running. I know that
the application is broken, but it's reacting stupidly to a change caused by
dnetc.

So, how do I make dnetc behave as the Idle process in that it's totals do
not count towards the CPU Utilization in taskmgr.exe?

James