[RC5] Cross post. Krystalia UD cancer team. - Comment on United Devices client

stvernaillen at ge.cokecce.com stvernaillen at ge.cokecce.com
Fri May 25 12:34:33 EDT 2001

>Entropia.com has also transformed itself into a distributed computing
network
>"for general use".  The new project has a self-updating client which
updates as
>new projects are given priority.   The current module is FightAIDS at Home.

Is it any good ?...

The reason I asked is I checked out the United Devices client ( Cancer
research)( where all those Dnet guys went to work)
and it basicly is bad...

- client functionality:
no save function, no bufferring, no checkpoint file,..
- client stability :
any glitch and the data allready done is lost , OS crashes, Network
hickups, ...( try it on a laptop with Win95)
and the client gets a new set of data or the entire program again..
( official comment : manually backup the entire directory every X hours !!)
- Stats:
2 times out of three you don't get credited for work done
- Only WINDOWS clients:
I guess other OS's aren't interesting commercially.
So Dnet it is for those AIX, Linux, etc boxes

and I could go on.

I think the Dnet client is very good, stable, does what it is supposed to
be doing( except for the little v466 thing), optimized, has all it needs to
have, etc
But you have to admit that finding an encryption key is a little bit lame
when there are things like Cancer research out there.
( Ok , I admit. I also ran the Seti thing for a while, before it become
popular)
I suppose they( UD) are using this Popular "Cancer Research" theme as a
test for later commercial applications.
I hope for the (ex?)Dnet staff things improve soon or they might find
themselves looking again for those old boring day-jobs

And for Dnet.
I hope we find that RC5 thing fast so that there comes again some life in
this slowly dying fire ( in my opinion)
this thing has a too good base ( users, staff, client) to let go to waste.

Regards,

Stan
( No, not the one from that annoying Eminem song ;)  )

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net