[RC5] CPU Utilization in Task Manager (NT)

bwilson at fers.com bwilson at fers.com
Fri May 25 09:51:00 EDT 2001

I recall bovine or cyp (or one of the developers via the FAQ) stating that
dnetc categorically cannot be removed from the Task Manager's CPU count on NT
or 2000.  It has to do with the System Idle Process being an internal feature
of the kernel, IIRC.  I think the explanation was that System Idle Process
isn't really a process... it's just a section of code in the kernel which keeps

track of the occasions when there's nothing in the queue.  Since dnetc is
something, not nothing, it must be counted with everything else.

Tasks that run at idle priority can be affected by dnetc, though they typically

get an equal share of the CPU as dnetc.  This should only make it run half as
fast, I would think.  Perhaps instead of pausing on taskman, you could pause on

the app-of-the-day you're debugging?  At least you could leave taskman open
this way.  You could even pick a nothing-app like Calc as the "pause" app, then

just open or close it when you need dnetc to pause, and no need to reconfigure

every day.

Different profiling tools must surely have a mechanism for ignoring certain
processes.  Taskman is not a profiling tool, as you're well aware.  It occurs
to me that there must be less brute-force ways of debugging than just
determining if they have entered a spinloop by watching CPU to spike.  ;-)
__
Bruce Wilson, Manager, FERS Business Services
bwilson at fers.com, 312.245.1750, http://www.fers.com/
PGP KeyID: 5430B995, http://www.lasthome.net/~bwilson/

File not found. Make it up as I go along?
         [OK]         [Cancel]

	rc5 at lists.distributed.net

	05/24/2001 09:59