[RC5] When RC5 will be finished...

Steven Jones stevenj at acay.com.au
Thu Nov 1 21:45:35 EST 2001

    I can see your point with too many projects at once, but the problem is if a new project isn't planned soon we could end up wi5th nothing to do! I admit that probabilistically ( I'm not sure if that's a word, but you know what I mean), RC5 will take until Q3 2002 to finish, but it might just finish
tomorrow. Gee for all I know it might have finished whilst I have been typing this.
    If that happens, we will be stuck with nothing but OGR, a project that I for one aren't that keen on. I have problems with its do everything twice philosophy. Yes, I conceed the arguement that it is good science, but it's not good fun. The stats mean that it's hard to keep a handle on how it's going. The
variable size of the nodes, combined with the large time taken to complete a single stats unit leave me feeling that I'm getting nowhere.
    I know these are all pretty things, but like everyone else I'm just doing this cause it's cool, (well geek cool), and if it's not fun, I'll find something else for my cycles.
    This came out like a whinge. I didn't mean it to be. I too would like to see RC5 completed, and something to come from OGR, but I also think that we should at least be thinking about what's next.

Steven Jones