[RC5] When RC5 will be finished...

tomdv at datatx.com tomdv at datatx.com
Fri Nov 2 12:38:12 EST 2001

Dear Steve,
I believe this question also goes for RC5. We had this issue before when
we were speaking about load of work on a PC. See, if I use a P120 and only
update every two weeks, I have a pretty high chance the blocks it crunched
have been processed already by someone else. Actually, I deinstalled dnet
from that computer for exactly that reason.
For all at dnet, we always speak about 'wasting' cycles when we mention a
screensaver. Now, apart from that, if we have slow computers that update
every two weeks only and their work was done by a faster computer, that
also is a waste of cycles. Rather than starting any new contest, is it
possible to review what can be done to avoid  this from happening or at
least have a better control? Maybe you need to have a list of who has what
units and verify what happen with the work units if long time no see.
Just a thought,
Tom

Please respond to rc5 at lists.distributed.net
Sent by:        owner-rc5 at lists.distributed.net