[RC5] Stats suggestion

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Fri Nov 9 00:16:45 EST 2001

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Brad T. wrote:

> ranking by overall keyrate would be a much better idea

That would prejudice against people who have been going a long time - for
example, I have been doing dnet for maybe 2 years.

Compare the situation when I upgrade to a 1.5GHz PC to when someone new
starts with a 1.5GHz PC.
Their overall keyrate will be very high to start off with.
My overall keyrate will take 2 more years to get half way to the same
point, and 2 more years after that to get three-quarters of the way.

No fair on me.

Similarly, if I have been going for 2 years, and stop suddenly, it would
take 2 more years for my key rate to fall to half of its present value.

No fair on everybody else.

So I think overall keyrate is bad.

ben

--