[RC5] D.net causing overheating

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Wed Nov 14 14:47:28 EST 2001

I've come across a real-world example of the d.net client overheating &
freezing a machine that otherwise performed normally. This has been
discussed as a theoretical problem with the d.net client on the past in
this forum.

An older Pentium Pro 200 user workstation I had cracking away on my network
started freezing intermittently every hour or so - likely a hardware
problem, since we use a standard, known-good Win2k disk image on our
workstation machines. Instead of cracking the case and diagnosing the
hardware, I decided to remove d.net to see what would happen. I had the user
continue using the machine for more than a week - no freezes.

I've just put the d.net client back on to see if my little experiment is
repeatable on this machine (which probably has a loose heat sink or slow
fan).

:::Ryan Malayter, MCSE
:::Bank Administration Institute
:::Chicago, Illinois, USA