[RC5] D.net causing overheating

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Thu Nov 15 10:29:34 EST 2001

I actually use dnetc as part of our server burn-in process, too... I'm still
looking for good disk and memory burn-in tools for Win2k if anybody knows of
any.

I'm guessing, though, that dnetc using 100% of the CPU time is more
stressfull to a system with poor cooling than almost any common application
using 100% of the CPU time. My reasoning is that the dnetc cores are
designed to use as much of the CPU's logic as possible all of the time, and
common apps aren't optimized nearly that well. So, more logic used -> more
transistors changing state -> more heat generated.

Still, as you say, any app running the CPU at 100% would probably freeze
this machine.

I think I'm going to swap it out for a different workstation so I can play
with it when I have some free time.

:::Ryan Malayter, MCSE
:::Bank Administration Institute
:::Chicago, Illinois, USA