[RC5] D.net causing overheating

Andreas D. Landmark andreas.landmark at noxtension.com
Fri Nov 16 19:43:58 EST 2001

At 16.11.2001 08:55, stvernaillen at ge.cokecce.com wrote:

> >Andreas D. Swenson wrote:
> >even 60 degrees C is quite a substansial temperature for a CPU

My name is not Swenson, Landmark is more like it...

>I don't want to turn this into a  "and me ! me ! " scenario but I'm just
>wondering...
>
>My Thunderbird 1.4Ghz runs at around 61 C° with the client on.( case temp
>just above 40C° )
>I was under the impression this was normal... ?
>It is about 52C° without Dnetc
>I was led to believe that > Ghz processors ran hotter  , is that correct ?

61 is not dangerous, it's not out of the ordinary, but it's at the high end.
Nothing to worry about really, just enough to make a mental note to
waste some money on more cooling if you want to OC the CPU further,
a casetemp of 40C is not too bad, sounds like you got yourself a pretty
normal of-the-shelf system.

>As far as I can tell there is no problem with it running at this
>temperature, stability wise. ( well it runs windows , so you don't expect
>it to go without reboots :)  )

If it ain't broke, don't fix it usually applies in these situations...
(however longtime effects of high temperatures include stuff like premature
failure of key systemparts (disks, cpus, memchips, most stuff really ;-).

>I do find it rather noisy, Is this related to the temperature or not?( at a
>cold boot it's ok, but a few minutes later the noise suddenly picks up)

What's noisy? The system or the speakers (sound-outputs are noisy?).
A noisy fan (out of the ordinary hum of a fan) might be a hint that
the sleeve is shot or it's full of "something" (I've cleared enough something
in my time, but never once taken a close look to figure out what it
really is ;-).

--
Andreas D Landmark / noXtension
Real Time, adj.: