[RC5] D.net causing overheating

Andreas D. Landmark andreas.landmark at noxtension.com
Sat Nov 17 01:32:44 EST 2001

At 16.11.2001 21:26, Henrik Berglund  SdU wrote:
>On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Andreas D. Landmark wrote:
>
> > 61 is not dangerous, it's not out of the ordinary, but it's at the high
> end.
>My Duron 1GHz is at 41C with dnet running, 30 something without dnet.
>61C is realy to much it should not be over 55C i think.

The CPU wouldn't die @ 61C, keeping 30 something is IMO for cooling
zealots, I've had cooling accidents where a whole serverroom reached
30 odd something... what the case temperatures were, were somewhere
closer to 50 than 30 ;-).

(it should be added that a few modems in a custombuilt rack did throw
in the towel for good ;-), but all systems survived).

On what facts do you base your temperature speculation upon?

The Pentium 4 (at least the 478-pin edition) has a  T_case MAX[1] of
73-77 (varies with clockspeed, not proportional though), and assuming
normal industry behaviour the max temperature is lower than the actual
practical max (though there's no point in exceeding the proposed MAX ;-).

> > Nothing to worry about really, just enough to make a mental note to
> > waste some money on more cooling if you want to OC the CPU further,
> > a casetemp of 40C is not too bad, sounds like you got yourself a pretty
> > normal of-the-shelf system.
>normal?? my case temp is 30 something.

yep, in my experience 40 deg is not deviant.

>I only have a standard coolermaster made for processors =< 1.2GHz.
>And a large case fan that i have riged so i can change between 12v and 5v.
>Since its a 12v fan and runs on 5v al the time it is very quiet.
>And since its so large it gives about the same as a normal case fan at
>full speed.

What is a "large case fan", a 90mm ?

Is it me or is your arithmetic and a lot of your arguments based on unstated
or assumed facts?

[1] ftp://download.intel.com/design/pentium4/datashts/24988701.pdf
page 77, 6.1 table 32.

--
Andreas D Landmark / noXtension
Real Time, adj.: