[RC5] D.net causing overheating

mj enojon at ATTGLOBAL.NET
Thu Nov 22 14:09:08 EST 2001

Yes, the PPC clients did have that option for the power-hungry PPC 60x chips.
The energy-conservative G3/G4's hardly ever pause for temperature rise--even
in sweltering July/August humidity.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh at gmx.net>
To: <rc5 at lists.distributed.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 4:00 AM
Subject: Re: [RC5] D.net causing overheating

At 19:07 14.11.01 -0600, you wrote:
>I had similar problems on a machine that wasn't in a well ventilated area a
>couple of years ago.

Me too. I had a PIII700 with a bad heatsink, in a Mini Tower. Whenever the
dnetc was runnning, the processor was heating up. Normaly it was ~ 41°C and
with dnetc it sometimes went up to 58°C !! That wasn't a problem for the
CPU, but for my graphic card. It wasnt properly cooled then, because inside
the tower the temperature went up. So it hang after a while, ~1-2hours of
work. Wasn't there a option like "pause if temperature limit has reached"
for the macs, or ppcs ??? I have also monitoring devices for my systems,
perhaps one could implement it for x86 as well, it shouldn't be that hard
on linux machines, as they have /proc interfaces to their sensors...
perhaps something like "pause if reaches x°C and unpause if below y°C
again" would be really cool

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net