[RC5] Slow?

Bruce Wilson bwilson at distributed.net
Thu Oct 4 12:15:18 EDT 2001

1.  OGR packets can take anywhere from a few minutes to several days.

2.  The best way to run the client is as a service, which is completely
invisible.  Minimizing to a tray icon is preferred over displaying the
window, because the window updates will consume CPU cycles which could
be used to process the data.

Also:
You should never change the priority of the the client.  Doing so will
not increase your keyrate, it will only slow down the responsiveness of
the computer when you try to use it for anything else.  Setting the
priority too high could actually prevent the OS from getting enough
cycles to do its work.  Even when running at the lowest priority, the
client will use all CPU cycles not being used for other tasks.

__

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur."
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)