[RC5] Slow?

Mike Faunce mike at faunce.com
Fri Oct 5 00:44:18 EDT 2001

Why don't you consider 8 minutes of idle time during 22 days normal?

22 days is 31,680 minutes and as the original poster pointed out we're only
talking ~0.025% idle time that is truly lost CPU cycles.  I don't know how
many keys a PIII 800 cracks a minute, but I'd bet that he might have been
able to crack 1 extra block in that 22 day period if he'd had 0% idle time.
Personally I'd be more interested in how mach time the dnetc client got
during those same 22 days.  With all the things a typical office PC is
expected to do in the background -- virus scanning and definition updating,
DHCP lease renewals and other network related tasks, e-mail retrieval, the
list goes on and on -- only loosing 0.025% seems pretty good to me.

It's very possible, even probable, that during his normal use of the PC that
memory paging occurs.  And, that during the times that memory is paged there
were times where the processor had to sit idle and wait for the appropriate
page to be reloaded from disk.  If the dnetc client were ever paged out
there would be idle time before it was paged back in.  The dnetc program is
a strange one for Win NT/2K/XP's task scheduler, it's run at a very low
priority, but it's a very small program, so it doesn't get swapped out very
often -- unless you are really working your machine.

As was pointed out you do want the dnetc client to be run at it's normal
priority.  But, planning to get 0% idle time on a system that is used for
other tasks would not be my expectation.

Now if he'd said the system had been running only dnetc for the last 22 days
and nothing else, I'd expect that 8 minutes to be lower but still not 0%.
But there are still some "problem" times, like at boot time when the
services are all competing for resources when starting up for the first
time.

Mike
-----
Mike Faunce