[RC5] keyrate stabilizing?

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Sat Oct 13 09:41:37 EDT 2001

Biggest challenges to recruitment are:

1) Newness has worn off.
2) Projects are taking too long
3) The big teams are hard to compete with, so little teams are less
interesting
4) Much of the readily available cpu power is being used, the rest is less
available or harder to reach.
5) Need for feature that allows the client to be hidden better on NT
machines.  At my company, I can put the client on my machine and on the
servers (and I have), but the users will whine if I put it on their
machines.  I have the authority to do so, but I just can't justify dealing
with them whining.  They can see it in the NT Task Manger, and no matter how
much logic I have for it not mattering, they'll blame it any time something
goes wrong on their machines, so it's just not worth it.

These things combined have caused myself and others to be less interested,
and I'm sure there are other reasons, but most of them are pretty well
known.  Only a serious recruitmenet campaign will help, but these days most
people participating probably don't read this list or hang out on the IRC
channel, so it'll take a decision by d.net people to get them message out to
get anything big done.