[RC5] keyrate stabilizing?

Jack Beglinger jackb_guppy at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 00:32:07 EDT 2001

There are few things that makes this...

1) Lack Hardware upgrades - I am still using the same machines as 2 years
ago.  Yes - I have added a few "new to me" machines... my base keyrate
has been the same of over year.  Until Xmas - I most likely will not upgrading
my equipment. Others have upgraded their machines hence more packets.
My guess is that it will have to wait to after the current slump to get more
back.

2) New/Old "blood" - I been playing with stats (I have a copy that I created via
web page requests) -- basically RC5 works by an active 13% of members
(about 42K, from a high of 75K) -- the rest are "flash in the pan" or have long
gone.  As a note 50% of all member last less than 3 months, 20% do not
make it pass the first week, and 10% (about 30K) do not make it pass 1
day. We been loosing (not logging RC5 packets) members since about May
2000 faster than adding new members.

The question is where are the members going... I see some have been
sucked over the other projects.  Also there is 30K+ members that have only
worked on projects other than RC5.  I can account for their members
numbers (IDs are in sequence) and when asked the stat server, I get back
basic header with no data.

3) the Stats / Feed back - I agree with some that stats need more....
Issues I have are:
a) I can not account for about 1 billion blocks listed on the overall stats page.
 There is notes about "bad" accounts (380 by my count, id number does not
behave nicely) that have turned in blocks that are in the totals - but we are
blocked from seeing.  There is even a "member" for the people who never
changed the email address.  If they are counted the they must show some
how.

b) Overall and Daily rankings are meaningless - how will I "compete" with top
boys?  -- how can I be #1 in the rankings?  For some the idea that they
could win some money makes them do it.  For some it is noble to do it.  In
both cases stats and rankings are not important.  For the rest, some better
are needed.  Weighted Averages vs Today Overall Average, maybe sub
rankings - All that started the same week, so you can "race" with others with
the same start time.

Yeah this rambled... but the base question -- stabilizing? yes.  why?
member drop out greater than joining, and economy.

jackb